Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

If the Heat Doesn't Kill You, the Prices Will!

My mom called me first thing this morning to see if the kids and I wanted to check out the Farmer's Market with her downtown. I didn't have anything planned, so we went.
I won't lie. I had visions of making my two-year-old daughter walk so I could fill the stroller plumb full of fresh produce, Hutterite baked goods, and beautiful plants.
We got lucky right off and found a close parking spot right at the entrance. I should have known it was an omen. Extreme good has to be balanced out with an equal amount of bad juju.
The first fail of the day was the temperature. As soon as I stepped out of the car, enormous beads of sweat formed on my forehead. Since it is July, I went with it. We had several water bottles filled with ice water, so I figured we'd survive.
As we started walking from booth to booth, I nearly lost it. I thought maybe the sweat dripping in my eyes was impairing my vision, but no. The prices were truly...I don't know. Heart stopping? Ridiculous? Definitely not affordable to the average Joe.
I'm all for supporting my local growers and I LOVE fresh produce, but if I have to get a home equity loan to pay for it, I will just stick to Sam's Club.

1 .:

Rebecca said...

I feel the same way! Tried a garden this year, but it was a 15 minute drive from our house...no yard to plant one. Anyway, it was a great 'idea'...and we harvested some...but spent so much on gas, I don't think I saved any money. We just signed up for a food service last night...I'm hoping it will save money, the meats are free of chems, hormones and antibiotics..so, that's a plus and it's not a 'whole pay check'! Love your blog...and am following now!

Post a Comment